Who’s responsible for weeds and litter?

With so many authorities involved, it can be challenging to determine who is responsible for weeds and rubbish in our area.

So here’s a rough guide to who’s who …

In the first instance, it is the responsibility of land owners to keep their properties free of weeds.

There is a hierarchy of weed classification in Victoria, with “declared” weeds being the most serious – (http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/protecting-victoria-from-pest-animals-and-weeds/legislation-policy-and-permits/declared-noxious-weeds-and-pest-animals-in-victoria).

The Department of Agriculture has an A-Z of declared noxious weeds here: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/weeds/a-z-of-weeds


But what about the roadsides outside of private property? Who’s responsible there?

Within the Blackwood township, the Shire of Moorabool is responsible for roadsides. Speak with Justin Horne or Tom Miller at the council. Outside of the 60kmh zone, Regional Roads Victoria is responsible. Speak with Sylvana Mitchell.


Melbourne Water is vitally concerned about the health of the Lerderderg River and its tributaries – including weed control. While not a land manager in its own right, it funds programs for weed eradication in the riparian zone (the immediate river bank and surrounds). Speak with Adam Barber.

The Port Phillip Western Port Catchment Management Authority has a similar interest and is also a funding source for weed control programs. Speak with Barry Kennedy.

However, the fact that these organisations concern themselves with only of the local area is problematic because weeds don’t respect artificial boundaries.

Parks Victoria

The forest to our south is state park and is controlled by Parks Victoria. Parks has an office in Bacchus Marsh and is actively interested in weed control in our area. Speak with Stuart Lardner.


The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning is responsible for the state forest areas (Wombat) surrounding Blackwood. The local office is based in Daylesford. Speak with Robin Holmes. DELWP has at times funding for a “good neighbour” program which is designed to tackle weeds close to the state forest boundary. This is in recognition that weeds don’t stop at fence lines and must be eradicated entirely from a local area.